Monday, May 14, 2012

Blog Me MAYbe: Name Match-up Contest


**UPDATE** So I got some emails that eluded to the fact that perhaps I made it too hard to get ALL of the matched names. New plan. The person who gets the MOST matched names wins. Crystal wins for yesterday. Let's see who can win today! If you don't know, guess. You may win. Here are the new rules. At the end of the day today (midnight PST) whoever has either all or the most right wins. If there's a tie, there will be a tie breaker... though, I'm kinda a push over so you may both just get books! See. Even more reason to play.

Today is Monday for Blog Me MAYbe and that means it's, May I tell you something about writing? day.

I always struggle with this topic. As an unpublished-always-struggling-to-finish-a-project-writer I feel like I'm a little unqualified to write anything of substance on the topic of writing. But there's one thing that I do love to talk about. And that's character names. I troll baby name sites so often that you'd think I were pregnant. In fact I get google ads about belly balm all the time.



You know those games where you match the super hero to his or her real world (no, not the MTV series) name? Well, we're gonna play it this way. I'm going to list character names, and you're going to match them with what type of character they are! HINT: they are all YA book characters.

To add that extra incentive, the first person to post the correct order will get a YA book of their choice. Seriously, you get to go to Powell's (my favorite bookstore) and pick out what book you want, and I'll have it sent to you. Sweet, right? So here we go...


1. Sabriel                            A. Hogwarts Student
2. Cassel Sharpe               B. Midnighter
3. Howl                               C. Lioness
4. Neville Longbottom        D. Fairy Godmother
5. Jessica Day                   E. Curse Worker
6. Maggie Winters              F. Necromancer
7. Alanna                           G. Wizard

Please post as follows (note, this is not the right answer!)
1C, 2D, etc...

BONUS: if you can name the books & the authors for each, you get a SECOND book (of equal or lesser value, of course)

9 comments:

  1. I only know a couple of these--Neville and Cassel--so I'll guess on the rest :)

    1F, 2E, 3C, 4A, 5B, 6D, 7G

    How'd I do??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're close. :) I'll reveal the answers & the winner tomorrow.

      Delete
    2. Hi Crystal! So you've won a book. Email me at mirandabuchanan@me.com so I can get your info. Oh! And go to Powells.com to pick out a book and send me the link. Happy shopping!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hey lady! Thanks for stopping by. :) What do you mean? Seth from Rebekah's book?

      Delete
  3. 1. Sabriel= F. Necromancer
    2. Cassel Sharpe= E. Curse Worker
    3. Howl = G. Wizard
    4. Neville Longbottom= A. Hogwarts Student
    5. Jessica Day= B. Midnighter
    6. Maggie Winters= D. Fairy Godmother
    7. Alanna = C. Lioness

    I had to guess on 5 and 6, (maybe 3 too) but I knew the other ones. :)

    Yay fun games! I'm glad the RAOK post sent me here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Miriam you're a Winner! And not just because you guessed. you got them ALL RIGHT! Woot! Go to Powells.com and pick out any YA book you'd like, email me the link and your info, and I'll send it your way! (mirandabuchanan@me.com)

      Congrats!!

      Delete
  4. ANSWERS!
    Sabriel is a necromancer from Garth Nix's Abhorsen Series.

    Cassel Sharpe is a curse worker from Holly Black's Curse Workers Series.

    Howl is the wizard from Diana Wynne Jones' Howl's Moving Castle.

    Neville Longbottom is a Hogwarts student from J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter Series.

    Jessica Day is a Midnighter from Scott Westerfield's Midnighter Series.

    Maggie Winters is a Fairy Godmother from Rebekah L. Purdy's The Fairy Godmother Files Series.

    Alanna is the Lioness from Tamora Pierce's Song of the Lioness Series.

    I didn't just pick these books for their exceptional name to character type. Each one is a fantastic book. Keep watching out, I'll be doing more of these in the future. Maybe making them a little easier. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, if I'd have played I would've had them all right (er...I'm kind of a book nerd--hehhe). Thanks for including my Maggie on here lady ((HUGS)). Seriously, love these games (hehehe).

    ReplyDelete